Comica v1.20 Alpha 3

Comica (formerly Comical) is a configurable web-comic viewer and downloader. [link]
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Comica v1.20 Alpha 3

Post by BootBlock » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:46 pm

Due to a change with Cyanide & Happiness, Comica was unable to get their new strips. I've decided to release this potentially completely broken Alpha 3 version in order to fix it.

Comica underwent a massive change to the way it handles files back at around the start of 2014; the change wasn't complete, and left various things broken. Because it was such a while ago, I have no idea what. So I just spent the morning undoing as much of it as possible and getting Comica working with the old configs. I assume Alpha 2 still used .xml files, because if not... uh-oh.

Anyway. Here's Alpha 3. Stuff's broke. Use it if you really want C&H back. Extract it to ANOTHER directory that isn't your current Comica installation. In fact, it's probably a good idea to backup %APPDATA%\Comical just incase (get there via the blue link in the About window).

Download is below; you'll need .NET Framework 4.5.2 this time.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Download: http://software.bootblock.co.uk/downloa ... Alpha3.zip [2MB]

Remember: Once you've downloaded the .zip file, you'll need to right-click on it and click on the Unblock button otherwise the plugins (download indicator, etc) and modules (settings, etc) won't work. Comica will give you a generic error about any failed modules - this is why.

noober
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Comica v1.20 Alpha 3

Post by noober » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:05 am

Good to see you working on Comica again!
I won't dl this Alpha, don't need C&H that much, and don't want to cause massive international disputes by blowing up my part of the internets...

In the thread about v2 ( viewtopic.php?f=27&t=97&start=50#p1642 ) you said
Despite Comica being used by quite a lot of people, not much is being said about it as comic requests can now be performed within Comica itself and few people are having any problems.
Actually, comic requests don't work for me, see:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=86&p=1921#p1926

I'm still OK with 1.20 alpha 2, although it does get slower with the massive amount of images on the disc now...
I changed the default definitions of quite a few comics. See the "Other Comic XML entries - Part 2" thread.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:54 pm

noober wrote:Good to see you working on Comica again!
I won't dl this Alpha, don't need C&H that much, and don't want to cause massive international disputes by blowing up my part of the internets...
Hey noober!
noober wrote:Actually, comic requests don't work for me, see:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=86&p=1921#p1926
Hmm, I don't think I've ever had a report about the Suggest Comic feature not working, although it's been a while.

Okay, just did some testing and I'm getting the same error: it seems Suggest Comic is trying to connect to the local PC to send the suggestion. It looks like I didn't change some debug code. :roll:
noober wrote:I'm still OK with 1.20 alpha 2, although it does get slower with the massive amount of images on the disc now...
Could you check to see around how many images there is in that particular comic's directory that causes the slowdown? I'm not sure if the new file I/O code made it into Alpha 2.
noober wrote:I changed the default definitions of quite a few comics. See the "Other Comic XML entries - Part 2" thread.
Awesome, thanks!

noober
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by noober » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:25 pm

BootBlock wrote:
noober wrote:I'm still OK with 1.20 alpha 2, although it does get slower with the massive amount of images on the disc now...
Could you check to see around how many images there is in that particular comic's directory that causes the slowdown? I'm not sure if the new file I/O code made it into Alpha 2.
Oh, I don't think there's one comic that causes a slow-down.
I've got 146 folders in the Archive folder, and the total size of the Archives is about 12 GB, in 90000 files.....
I really need to catch up on some of that and delete the old stuff ;)

That said, even with that massive amount of data, it's still working well. Browsing is totally fine.
Only when it is looking for new comics, it feels like it's a bit slower than it used to be.

AZNsupermarket
It's Not Lupus

Post by AZNsupermarket » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:12 pm

I haven't had a chance to install the new alpha because my hard drive is pretty full and I need to move a lot of files around to make room, but I haven't had a chance yet. I just would like to thank BootBlock for updating this app. It means a lot. Thanks man!

noober

Post by noober » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi bootblock,
do you think Comica v1.20 Alpha 2 can be fixed so that the "Suggest Comic" feature works?

I don't want to use Alpha 3 because of your warnings. Or is it not as bad as you made it sound, and it's usable enough? Does it work with xkcd?

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:19 pm

I haven't looked at the Comica code in quite a while, but I think the Suggest Comic executable could just be dropped into the Alpha 3 directory.

Although, yeah, the warnings for Alpha 3 are pretty over-the-top; I was using Alpha 3 for a long time and never encountered any problems. It also uses the same Comics.xml file as the previous versions (although with the option of extended options, but they're not enabled due to breaking previous versions if enabled).

If in doubt, back-up ;)