Sort Method addition

Advanced file and folder sorting. [FileSieve 3]
nightowl1on1

Sort Method addition

Post by nightowl1on1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:08 pm

would AUD $50:00 get you help get and addition to this program ?

I am hoping to use your program on my photos and movie that I download from my ipad & iphone and other sources

I am looking at getting the option to choose from the creation date / modified date / date taken

I am using windows 7

regards
Kevin Mohi
kevin@kgm.com.au

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Re: Sort Method addition

Post by BootBlock » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi nightowl1on1,
FileSieve supports date sorting via the first two rules with the Date Stamp method, although it doesn't yet support sorting via image metadata. Is there something specific you're finding that's missing from the Date Stamp other than the latter?

KingSky

Post by KingSky » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi,

I am also looking for this feature :)

I recently restored a corrupt drive using recovery software. I was hoping to use FileSieve to sort my images back into subfolders using the 'Date Taken' field.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be possible yet. I can't sort them by creation date, as the creation date is the date that the recovery software recovered them (all the same date). They do have the date taken metadata though which is correct.

Do you have any plans to add this, or do you know of any alternatives that might work?

Thanks,
-Kevin

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi KingSky,

Ah, I see - sorting via EXIF data is what I think you're looking for.

EXIF, and additional metadata sorting methods, will be supported in FileSieve, but unfortunately that will be in v4. The current version (v3) is somewhat limited in providing the infrastructure required to easily implement metadata features.

I've only started working on it today, but have made good progress. Even so, I can't really say for when when it'll be ready. :(

KingSky

Post by KingSky » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks, sounds good.

I really love FileSieve and plan to continue using it (and support it when I can ;) ) but for now, because I had this folder of images I needed to sort I found a temporary alternative. It's the only decent free program I could find, everything else was like $20 minimum :P

It's called AmoK Exif Sorter: (freeware)
http://www.amok.am/en/freeware/amok_exif_sorter/

It worked pretty well for now to sort all my images by the date taken metadata.

I posted the url here in case anybody else needs to do this, I wasn't sure if you allowed posting of links to other programs so if I shouldn't have done so feel free to delete it, but hopefully this will help others.

Thanks,
-Kevin

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:27 am

Thought I'd update this thread in-case anyone else has the same question/requirement:

FileSieve v4.xx supports EXIF tag sorting.