Invalid MAC ID check?

Control the state of remote PCs. [link]
TonyA

Invalid MAC ID check?

Post by TonyA » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:01 am

Hi,

I recently discovered this program and it looks very nice, however I have one problem with it...

When I try to send the WAKEUP action to the remote PC on my LAN, the status changes to Invalid MAC ID.

I copied the MAC ID for the remote PC from an entry in my router and I have also verified that it is correct by checking the ipconfig details on the remote PC.

From further research, I am wondering if the problem may be related to the Gigabyte motherboard in the remote PC, as there appear to have been Linux related issues with invalid MAC IDs reported by some Gigabyte and Asus boards.

A google search on the first three octets of the MAC ID returned this page http://hwaddress.com/mac/6CF049-000000.html so it appears it may be valid?

My questions are:

- How does Wake On Lan EX2 check if the MAC ID is valid?

- Is there any way to override the check?

Thanks.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Re: Invalid MAC ID check?

Post by BootBlock » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi TonyA,
- How does Wake On Lan EX2 check if the MAC ID is valid?
There were originally two ways of verifying the MAC-ID, but one of the checks was removed. The other one, the one you're running into, parses the MAC-ID into its byte form for inserting into the "magic" packet. This doesn't actually perform a check as such, and just converts it for sending.

The Invalid MAC ID error signifies that WoLEX threw an exception during the parsing and bailed out of the rest of the packet building.
Is there any way to override the check?
Unfortunately not; WoLEX is crashing (but the crash is being caught), so there seems to be a fundamental problem with the MAC-ID.

Are you separating the character groupings with a dash (-) character?

Could you paste the MAC-ID into a post here? Don't forget to change some of the characters, should you wish. ;)

TonyA

Re: Invalid MAC ID check?

Post by TonyA » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:18 am

Hi BootBlock,
BootBlock wrote:Are you separating the character groupings with a dash (-) character?
You hit the nail on the head, buddy. I thought I would avoid typos by copying and pasting the entry from my router, but of course it separates the values with colons instead of dashes.

Sorry for not checking something as basic as that before troubling you. Your program even specifies dashes in the notes for the Mac ID field on the address book entry form.

I changed the colons to dashes and it worked straight away (remote PC woke up fine).

Cheers for a nice looking app that is a big improvement (with the address book and ping functionality) on what I was using before.

Thanks too for the quick response here, and sorry again for not (properly) RTFM - the answer was literally staring me in the face!