Using Wolex to power on a server

Control the state of remote PCs. [link]
bobajob

Using Wolex to power on a server

Post by bobajob » Fri May 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi,Bootblock,
I wonder can you help with this request. Can't see any recent mail that's pertinent.
I've installed Wolex on my PC under Windows 7 64 bit and it works OK. It can "wake up" my ZyXEL NSA 310 network server fine when I press the wake up button.
The Restart and shutdown functions don't seem to work, but I'm not too worried about that.
What I was hoping to do was to use Wolex (in the Windows Start up menu) to switch on the server at boot up.
Is there an easy way to simulate the action of the button outside of the software? Some extra coding or a registry hack perhaps?

Hope you can help.
Many thanks, Bobajob.

marktaylorgrampound

Re: Using Wolex to power on a server

Post by marktaylorgrampound » Sun May 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi Bobajob & BootBlock,
I too have just bought a Zyxel Server - NSA325. I too can't get WOLex to logoff or shut down the server and that is actually an issue as I would like to site the server remotely (away from all three computers which are connected to it) and use WOLex to power it off remotely when not in use. I know this must be possible because the shutdown/restart command are available from within the ZYXEL's own firmware but hidden away and, in any case, I have no reason to open up the firmware except to action a remote shutdown.

Bobajob, sorry if this seems to be hijacking your original query (which I admit it is a bit). I can see the logic of your request and think that would also be a good idea.

By the way Bootblock - ZYXEL's help file specifically recommends your app under its Wake on LAN instructions.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Fri May 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi there bobajob and marktaylorgrampound,
What I was hoping to do was to use Wolex (in the Windows Start up menu) to switch on the server at boot up.
WoLEX unfortunately doesn't support passing in any command-line parameters. It's been a while since I've worked on it (as I started work on its "big brother" version), so I've become unfamiliar with its code. I'll take a look over the next few days and see if I can get command-line support in, albeit in a limited form but will do exactly what you require.
I too can't get WOLex to logoff or shut down the server
WoLEX uses the Windows' Shutdown.exe utility to perform the shutdown; the remote device will need to be a Windows PC for it to work.

Saying that, some devices provide an external means of control. For example, my old router allowed it to be restarted by directly calling a certain page which allowed me to add remote restart to one of my old apps. If a device has such a capability, I should be able to add support for it. Of course the challenge here would be in determining if - and how - it's supported on a particular device (eg. NSA325).
ZYXEL's help file specifically recommends your app under its Wake on LAN instructions.
That's awesome, thanks for letting me know!

mrER

Post by mrER » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 pm

Hello Bootblock,

me too downloaded WoL-ex because on ZyXel use it as an example in their instruction manual for NSA310, NSA320, NSA325.
According the Zyxel specification it can only wake up from LAN and the shut off can be done with the power schedule.

My question is regarding the installation. The WoL-EX program does not appear in the start menu of Win7. and it cannot be added to the quick start menu.
To start it, I always run the execute file. The settings are saved and it is working popperly to powerup the NSA-310.
It there a way to run the Wol-ex automatically and make it send magic packet when I start up my desktop?

Best regards, Mr E

Brandr

Post by Brandr » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:56 am

WoLEX uses the Windows' Shutdown.exe utility to perform the shutdown; the remote device will need to be a Windows PC for it to work.
Is there no way to hack it to get it to work on a mac?

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:39 am

Hey Brandr,

I don't know exactly how the Mac OS executable system works, but you could try putting the Mac OS equivalent of Shutdown.exe (I don't know of one personally as I don't own a Mac, but there could be something that uses the same command-line parameters, etc) within a path the OS searches for executables and it should use that automatically.

The in-development version of WoLEX uses .NET 4.6.1, which I don't think Mono supports yet and so I'm unable to test on non-Windows OSes. I'll add extra options, though, so it can be customised on a level that'll allow the above easily while waiting for a compatible Mono release.