Subdirectory creation not working

Even more advanced file and folder sorting. [FileSieve 4]
odwofford

Subdirectory creation not working

Post by odwofford » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:26 pm

I am testing out FileSieve 4 for long-term use and have run into a problem with the creation of subdirectories using music tags.

I want to take a group of music files in a directory and reorganize them into directory hierarchy of Genre\Album Artist\Album Title. My Method uses Tag and defines the Name Mask as \%GENRE_FIRST%\%ALBUM_ARTIST_FIRST%\%ALBUM_TITLE%\ going into the destination directory of Y:\Music. The preview example shows this producing the structure I want (\Contemporary\Ted Crilly\A Song for Europe).

However, the actual action taken, in both simulated mode and in live mode, results in the following (using the same example data): Y:\Music\ContemporaryTedCrillyA Song for Europe\FileName.mp3. That is, instead of three new subdirectories, FileSieve 4 is creating a single subdirectory by ignoring the back slashes and concatenating Genre_FirstAlbum_Artist_FirstAlbum_Title.

Is this a bug in version 4 or something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Doug Wofford

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Re: Subdirectory creation not working

Post by BootBlock » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi Doug,

thanks for reporting the problem, which is definitely with FileSieve - you're not doing anything wrong. :)

I've added the bug to Tracker.BootBlock.co.uk so you can see keep up with its status. I'll post a reply to this thread once the issue has been finally fixed.

The next version of FileSieve is under-going a major rewrite in regards to the Source Item Editor, and unfortunately I won't be able to release a fixed version for a few days at the earliest. Although, saying that, hopefully it'll just be a case of rebuilding the Tag plugin which can then be dropped right into FileSieve.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:28 pm

The bug has been fixed!

You can download the fixed plugin by clicking here (47KB).

Once downloaded, follow these steps:

1) In FileSieve, open the Settings window and click on the Open Settings Directory at the bottom-left. Exit FileSieve.
2) In the Explorer window that appears, go into the Plugins directory.
3) Extract the downloaded file into that Plugins directory.

Run FileSieve and the Tag plugin should work as expected - let me know how you get on.

Once again, thanks for reporting the issue!

odwofford

Post by odwofford » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:44 pm

Thank you for the fast turnaround of the bug fix, especially in the midst of major rewrite.

I was able to download and copy the DLL into the plugins directory, replacing the existing DLL. It is not, however, being recognized by the main application. After replacing the updated DLL the Tag method has disappeared completely. 

I found your log.txt file and it provides the following additional information, seeming to indicate that there is a capabilities method it could not find when the main exe attempted to initialize the new plugin.

2016-12-11 10:07:58 Startup Information FileSieve v4.06.0.0
2016-12-11 10:07:58 Startup Information OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 6.2.9200.0 (Win32NT; x64). CPUs: 16.
2016-12-11 10:07:58 Startup Information Memory: 82,022MB of 98,302MB free.
2016-12-11 10:07:58 Startup Information UI Culture: English (United States)
2016-12-11 10:07:58
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Fatal Error getting types from assembly (Method.Tag.dll): Method not found: 'FS.Plugins.Capabilities FS.Plugins.Interfaces.IPlugin.get_Capabilities()'.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Debug Found plugins: Method.Attributes.dll, Method.Classification.dll, Method.Consolidate.dll, Method.DateStamp.dll, Method.Exif.dll, Method.Extension.dll, Method.FindReplace.dll, Method.Quantity.dll, Method.StandardAtoZ.dll, Method.Substring.dll, Modifier.Attributes.dll, Modifier.Casing.dll
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose Attributes initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose Classification initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose Consolidate initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose DateStamp initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose EXIF initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose Extension initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose Find Replace initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose Quantity initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose Standard A-Z initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose Substring initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose Attributes initialised OK.
2016-12-11 10:07:59 Plugins Verbose Casing initialised OK.

Hopefully, this is a quick fix and not the beginning of a trip down a rabbit hole!

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:00 am

Gagh - sorry, I know what the problem is: I made a lot of breaking changes to the plugin architecture that I entirely forgot about. :?

I'll try and get the new FileSieve release out ASAP so you can properly use the Tag plugin. In the meantime, I can upload the old Tag file if you need it, although I'm not sure how useful it'll be what with it not being able to create directories.

Sorry about all this! :oops:

(Is that installed memory in the log correct? :shock:)

odwofford

Post by odwofford » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:42 pm

I can wait for the new FileSieve build to come out. I know from experience the difficulty of attempting a quick and easy fix to an old version that then becomes complicated and steals time from the new work. Stay on the new work and I will look forward to trying that out.

Yes, the memory is correct. :) I do a lot of high-end database and analytic development, so I have a hefty workstation, but I significantly boosted the memory for almost nothing from an ebay seller who was having trouble unloading an add-on memory module for this workstation. Unfortunately, though, most desktop software does very little with that much available memory. I was really thinking everything would load into memory and scream along, but it's such a rare situation, most applications just ignore it.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:51 am

odwofford wrote:I can wait for the new FileSieve build to come out. I know from experience the difficulty of attempting a quick and easy fix to an old version that then becomes complicated and steals time from the new work. Stay on the new work and I will look forward to trying that out.
I'm working like mad on the new version so it'll hopefully be out in a few days!
odwofford wrote:Yes, the memory is correct. :) I do a lot of high-end database and analytic development, so I have a hefty workstation, but I significantly boosted the memory for almost nothing from an ebay seller who was having trouble unloading an add-on memory module for this workstation. Unfortunately, though, most desktop software does very little with that much available memory. I was really thinking everything would load into memory and scream along, but it's such a rare situation, most applications just ignore it.
Ah, gotcha.

Same here - I put in 32GB (originally wanted 64GB but it was too expensive) when I rebuilt this PC and... nothing really uses it.

In fact, two things sometimes do: running multiple virtual machines, but I hardly ever do that; and using 7-Zip to perform multiple backups at the same time due to the massive dictionary size I use.

Maybe I should create a RAM disk but, unlike the Amiga days, I'm not really sure it has much use these days...

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi Doug,

quick post to let you know that FileSieve 4.07 is now out with the Tag plugin fix!

odwofford

Post by odwofford » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:28 pm

Outstanding! I have downloaded, will test today and let you know the outcome.

Doug

odwofford

Post by odwofford » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:18 pm

The 4.07 release has cleared up the problem. Thanks!

I have a couple of enhancement requests that I will put into two separate topics.