Comical v2 Work Log

Comica (formerly Comical) is a configurable web-comic viewer and downloader. [link]
AZNsupermarket
It's Not Lupus

Re: Comical v2 Work Log

Post by AZNsupermarket » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Zallist wrote:...I think that sounds like a very complex process. :D
I'll leave you to it and flee to play my xbox. (since I can't be bothered with revision or coursework during my Easter break. ;D)
What game you playing?

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Post by Zallist » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:00 am

AZNsupermarket wrote:
BootBlock wrote:
Zallist wrote:...I think that sounds like a very complex process. :D
I'll leave you to it and flee to play my xbox. (since I can't be bothered with revision or coursework during my Easter break. ;D)
My Xbox is in pieces next to me. Stupid RROD...

Gonna rewrite the stuff I talked about above tomorrow. Got a slightly better way of doing it, and I feel like my head's gonna explode, ATM.

Not looking forward to getting Comical working with it, that's fer sure.
Did you get the Xbox within the last 3 years? Then Microsoft fixes for RROD is free. Otherwise you gotta pay $100 which sucks :(

Non-RROD problems are only free for the first year. I've already had my xbox die on me THREE f***ing times! So I am well acquainted with the process :(
I've only had a RROD once, and I sent my xbox in for repair. I can't do that now since I've voided my warranty. And I thought they'd increased the time to 5 years?
Anyways, if it comes to it, you can buy the necessary stuff for the repair for about £5, and do it yourself. (done that for 2 of my friends, and they're still working :D)
◕ ◡ ◕

AZNsupermarket
It's Not Lupus

Post by AZNsupermarket » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:03 am

Zallist wrote: I've only had a RROD once, and I sent my xbox in for repair. I can't do that now since I've voided my warranty. And I thought they'd increased the time to 5 years?
Anyways, if it comes to it, you can buy the necessary stuff for the repair for about £5, and do it yourself. (done that for 2 of my friends, and they're still working :D)
except fixing it yourself voids the warranty, meaning that they won't fix it when it breaks another way. I know from experience :(

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:09 am

AZNsupermarket wrote:Did you get the Xbox within the last 3 years? Then Microsoft fixes for RROD is free. Otherwise you gotta pay $100 which sucks :(
It was a few months past its warranty, so they wanted to charge £81 ($124) to fix it. :evil:

I've done the X-Clamp fix and all sorts, but it refuses to work. I need try a few times changing the tightness of the bolts, but, eh, I really can't be arseholed to do it after getting it to this point. It has been set to the side for 2 months or so now. Bleh.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:39 am

Alright, I've rewritten the update checking and downloading process. Here's what happens now.

CheckForUpdate
  • Checks for a change in the comic's Url as normal, but now additionally sets LastUpdateCheck to the current time if the check didn't fail in some way.
  • If any subsequent CheckForUpdate() calls are made and LastUpdateCheck's time was within the last five minutes, CheckForUpdate() is skipped.
Download
  • A time-check will be made using LastUpdateCheck, like above. If the time is within 5 minutes, the download is skipped.
  • If the time is over five minutes, then LastUpdateCheck is updated to the current time, and GetComicLatestUrl is called.
  • If the url is the same as the url since our last check, downloading is aborted and the existing comic is returned if it exists.
  • If the url is different, then the comic image is downloaded under its final filename. No moving or renaming is necessary.
The time-check will be configurable so definition authors can lower it to prevent interference with testing.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:37 pm

This makes things so much cleaner.

' This allows us to update the Image -> Stretch menu when the .Stretch property on the comic image changes.
Dim descriptor As DependencyPropertyDescriptor = DependencyPropertyDescriptor.FromProperty(Image.StretchProperty, GetType(Image))
If Not descriptor Is Nothing Then descriptor.AddValueChanged(picComic, AddressOf picComic_StretchPropertyChanged)

Private Sub picComic_StretchPropertyChanged
' ... update Image -> Stretch menu here.
End Sub

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:46 pm

Work on the bots is getting there. As well as obviously handling the downloading of comics, they take care of ensuring that the comic's archive directory exists and such. When Comica has progressed further, I want the download bots to hand off the downloaded comics to archival bots, which will then, as their name implies, handle the archiving of those comics.

I'm going to create a Bot base class that will feature the basics for a bot (such as Start, Stop, Process) and inherit from it for any new bot types. This might sound like overkil for something like Comica, but I'm making sure that it all stays scalable. The more CPU cores your PC has, the faster things will go.

I still can't work out how to get bots displaying download progress within the comics list without tightly-coupling the UI and logic code together. Not going to waste time on working this out like I did the other day and ultimately getting no-where.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:04 pm

I've started to rip apart the original download Bot and I'm creating a Base bot and a Download bot from the spare parts. Got about 10 minutes to do as much as I can before the new Doctor Who starts.

I'm definitely not a Doctor Who fan, but, eh, might as well check it out.

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Post by Zallist » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:00 pm

BootBlock wrote:I've started to rip apart the original download Bot and I'm creating a Base bot and a Download bot from the spare parts. Got about 10 minutes to do as much as I can before the new Doctor Who starts.

I'm definitely not a Doctor Who fan, but, eh, might as well check it out.
The new Doctor Who looks a bit too Teenager-esque for my likes, so I just skipped it. I can't stand his voice either. D:
On the upside, Comica is starting to look like the system that runs GLaDoS. O:
◕ ◡ ◕

AZNsupermarket
It's Not Lupus

Post by AZNsupermarket » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:20 pm

I love the new doctor who series, but it boggles the mind how it became so popular in England. It must be a wonderful country where a quirky scifi series becomes the most popular show in the country.