Comical v2 Work Log

Comica (formerly Comical) is a configurable web-comic viewer and downloader. [link]
BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Re: Comical v2 Work Log

Post by BootBlock » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:34 am

Multiple comic downloading is now in.

I've moved part of the comic image file download code into BiQubic.Comic to simplify things and require less work on the author's part when downloading comics.

Next thing to do is give a visual progress indication of each bot during comic downloading. I need to somehow make this generic enough that it doesn't require any dedicated interface code otherwise it'll restrict what can be done with themes. A definite no-no.

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Post by Zallist » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Sounds like you're gonna keep to your "Only a few days" plan.
Guessing WPF was way simpler than you expected. Woooooooooo. :D

And, I think you needed to add multi-threading downloads to Comical V1.xx, anyways. THEN you can kill it off, since there'll be nothing else you can really do with that framework.
And, it's not like most people who use Macs don't dual-boot. I've yet to meet anyone in fact, other than netbook owners, who don't dual-boot.
◕ ◡ ◕

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:44 pm

Zallist wrote:Guessing WPF was way simpler than you expected. Woooooooooo. :D
Sssh, don't tell anyone - this is like my 5th go at WPF. :shock:

I always get stuck due to some dopey limitation in WPF. But Comica is a lot simpler than the previous stuff I was attempting.

And... I've run into a problem. I can't get the listbox displaying download progress information without using code, which would then break when another theme is used that doesn't work in the same way.

Been doing a load of Google searches and I haven't found anything yet. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for.
And, I think you needed to add multi-threading downloads to Comical V1.xx, anyways. THEN you can kill it off, since there'll be nothing else you can really do with that framework.
Problem with adding it to v1 is that there's no real way of displaying download progress. Then there's a thing involving comic states, which is the main reason why I didn't add it sooner.
And, it's not like most people who use Macs don't dual-boot. I've yet to meet anyone in fact, other than netbook owners, who don't dual-boot.
I don't even know anyone in person with a Mac. Probably a good thing as I'd end up nutting 'em as they try and crowbar something about Apple into a random conversation.

At least that's my experience with Mac users online, anyway. :)

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:58 am

Didn't get much done towards the end of yesterday due to not being able to work out how to display the stupid download progress.

And today it seems I've caught something.

Great.

Going to try and get something done on Comica before I become really ill.

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Post by Zallist » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:02 pm

BootBlock wrote:Didn't get much done towards the end of yesterday due to not being able to work out how to display the stupid download progress.

And today it seems I've caught something.

Great.

Going to try and get something done on Comica before I become really ill.
You get ill quite a lot, considering your macho exercise man. o-o
Anyways, gogo with Comica. :D
Goodluck on feelin' betterererer.
◕ ◡ ◕

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Zallist wrote:You get ill quite a lot, considering your macho exercise man. o-o
Anyways, gogo with Comica. :D
Goodluck on feelin' betterererer.
Never used to get ill, but then again I never lived next to the lurgy-catching <beep>s next door. They always catch something, and they always pass it on to me.

It's the Norovirus, apparently.

And it's a bit shit.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Made changes to BiQubic.Comics to fit in more with the design of Comica, but it only works some of the time. Would've fixed it, but I felt like I was dying. So I didn't. Still feeling pretty bad at the moment, but I'm at an interesting bit.

I've just been doing more work on the comics backend, and I've decided to remove CRC checking and streamline the process.

Currently, the backend does its thing to work out what comic image to download, and then goes through a process of downloading it and handing control back over to Comical. Comical then goes through all of the already-downloaded images for the current comic archive, hashing them and comparing them to the newly-downloaded image to see if it is truly unique.

If it's unique, then it (optionally) gets archived, and is then displayed.

If it isn't unique, then the file representation is discarded, and it's displayed. This sounds backwards, but the backend takes care of loading the image for display for Comical, so the physical file isn't required if it's just to be displayed.

The reason for the redundant steps is due to a previous (but fixed in v1.03 or so) problem where comics such as Misfile always returned the same filename for a comic, despite it possibly being a new one. As you can imagine, this required a very large amount of processing power if the comic's archive had a lot of comic images to see if it was actually unique.

Now, the backend will get the filename for the comic (which must be done, regardless) and then check to see if it already exists.

If it's unique, then it will be saved as normal.

If it isn't unique, then the download process will be skipped and the backend will return the already-existing version of the comic that's on-disk.

When the comic image is actually downloaded, it will be downloaded directly to the comic's archive under its new name. Previously, it would be downloaded to Comical's app-data directory, and then moved/renamed.

Because Comica uses WPF, it stores in-memory images in a different format (BitmapSource), which isn't compatible with the System.Drawing.Image format that both the backend and Comical use. A new flag will be added to the backend that tells it to not automatically load the image for us, thus saving needless processing.

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Post by Zallist » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 pm

...I think that sounds like a very complex process. :D
I'll leave you to it and flee to play my xbox. (since I can't be bothered with revision or coursework during my Easter break. ;D)
◕ ◡ ◕

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Zallist wrote:...I think that sounds like a very complex process. :D
I'll leave you to it and flee to play my xbox. (since I can't be bothered with revision or coursework during my Easter break. ;D)
My Xbox is in pieces next to me. Stupid RROD...

Gonna rewrite the stuff I talked about above tomorrow. Got a slightly better way of doing it, and I feel like my head's gonna explode, ATM.

Not looking forward to getting Comical working with it, that's fer sure.

AZNsupermarket
It's Not Lupus

Post by AZNsupermarket » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:42 pm

BootBlock wrote:
Zallist wrote:...I think that sounds like a very complex process. :D
My Xbox is in pieces next to me. Stupid RROD...

Gonna rewrite the stuff I talked about above tomorrow. Got a slightly better way of doing it, and I feel like my head's gonna explode, ATM.

Not looking forward to getting Comical working with it, that's fer sure.
Did you get the Xbox within the last 3 years? Then Microsoft fixes for RROD is free. Otherwise you gotta pay $100 which sucks :(

Non-RROD problems are only free for the first year. I've already had my xbox die on me THREE f***ing times! So I am well acquainted with the process :(