(Un)official suggestions thread

Comica (formerly Comical) is a configurable web-comic viewer and downloader. [link]
BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Re: (Un)official suggestions thread

Post by BootBlock » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:51 pm

Zooming was something I was close to adding but it would look a bit naff as it isn't exactly quick. Still, I'll put it in for the next version. v1.09 should be released pretty soon as I need to add the Previous/Next web-archive stuff to the developers' log.

MJayEyre

Post by MJayEyre » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:12 am

I like the recent updates, v1.08 is a nice release!

2 things though, I'd like to bring up. 1) The comic "Noise to Signal" isn't showing up right for some reason. Not sure if this is where that needs to be reported, but it's a tiny image, and even going to the file itself and opening it in Windows picture viewer and zooming in shows that it's not the right resolution. 2) Thank you for adding a rotation feature!!! Can you make it save the file when you rotate it or eveb just once you move away from the comic. Thank you, and keep up the good work!

- Marcus Eyre

cegorach

Post by cegorach » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:23 pm

BootBlock wrote:Using the Archive Browser, it's now possible to automatically download all previous strips directly from a comic's website.

Only previous strips can be downloaded from a comic's site if it has the required definition update to support it. At the moment, that's... four comics. It's going to take some tedious work, that's for sure. I'll add the most popular ones, anyway.
Would it be too much to ask that you give a (breif/detailed, whatever works for you) description of how to do this? Because I don't know about anyone else, but I would be willing to try and assist in getting some of the webcomics to be able to download the archives

Edit: I think I'm slowly figuring it out (the comic half anyway). The comic I have been trying it with is Schlock Mercenary (and hey, look - the code for the daily comic, but not the sunday one, since that one has a different naming scheme since sunday has multiple comics)

Code: Select all

<Definition Name="Schlock Mercenary - Sunday" PublisherUrl="http://www.schlockmercenary.com/" LatestComicUrl="http://www.schlockmercenary.com/" RedirectUrl="/zoom/\d+/" Rating="Everyone" ComicImage="/comics/schlock[0-9]{8}\.(jpg|png|gif)\?[0-9]{10}$" />
Now, my problem is that when I try to move between comics in the archive, it just trys to load the same page over again. Here is the code i'm trying to use for the catch up

Code: Select all

<Definition Name="Schlock Mercenary" PublisherUrl="http://www.schlockmercenary.com/" LatestComicUrl="http://www.schlockmercenary.com/" RedirectUrl="/zoom/\d+/" Rating="Everyone" ComicImage="/comics/schlock[0-9]{8}\.(jpg|png|gif)\?[0-9]{10}$" PreviousRedirectUrl="/\d{4}[-]\d{2}[-]\d{2}/$" PreviousRedirectUrlIndex="1" NextRedirectUrl="/\d{4}[-]\d{2}[-]\d{2}/$" NextRedirectUrlIndex="2" Data="*" />
the redirect urls are formatted the way they are because the comic links are set up as /yyyy/mm/dd/. I assume the previous/next redirect urls must be 1/2 respectively, since that is what every other one seems to be in the code (and since the wiki doesnt explain how to use them).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi cegorach,

The PreviousRedirectUrl and NextRedirectUrl attributes work in exactly the same way as the RedirectUrl attribute.

If the RedirectUrl attribute is present, Comical will visit the LatestComicUrl page and grab all of the links available and try to find a regex match against those links using RedirectUrl. The first match found will be used as the page Comical will then search for to try and match ComicImage against any images found. RedirectUrlIndex can be used to tell Comical which specific link to use (FIRST, LAST, or a number) if the first found link isn't the one you're interested in.

PreviousRedirectUrl / NextRedirectUrl and PreviousRedirectUrlIndex / NextRedirectUrlIndex are exactly the same as RedirectUrl and RedirectUrlIndex except that they only apply to finding the previous and next links on pages.

I'll begin a section on the wiki now to fully explain what processes Comical goes through during comic fetching.
I assume the previous/next redirect urls must be 1/2 respectively
That was true until v1.08 came out, where it now starts from 0. So if RedirectUrl returns five links, they would be numbered 0 to 4.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I've just had a go at trying to add Previous/Next to Schlock Mercenary and I can't seem to. The large number of links in the calendar on that page is making it very difficult; especially as the number of links will change when the month changes. I'm not really sure how to do it consistently...
and since the wiki doesnt explain how to use them
I really should sort the wiki out... :?

I'll begin adding to the Comical section of the wiki within the next day or two. Originally I planned on releasing an editor for Comical so it would be required, but it didn't get completed.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:45 am

MJayEyre wrote:1) The comic "Noise to Signal" isn't showing up right for some reason. Not sure if this is where that needs to be reported, but it's a tiny image, and even going to the file itself and opening it in Windows picture viewer and zooming in shows that it's not the right resolution.
I'm somewhat at the mercy of the .NET framework's image code here and don't think I can do anything about it. Thankfully this is the first reported case of this happening and so it seems very rare.

Edit: I've just noticed - there's another image on that comic's site which is a thumbnail of the comic. It seems Comical is downloading the wrong one. I'd better fix that...
MJayEyre wrote:2) Thank you for adding a rotation feature!!! Can you make it save the file when you rotate it or eveb just once you move away from the comic.
I'd rather not re-save the image itself as that would result in image quality loss, but I could add a flag to rotated images so Comical would know to auto-rotate them when it loads them when viewed.