(Un)official suggestions thread

Comica (formerly Comical) is a configurable web-comic viewer and downloader. [link]
Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

(Un)official suggestions thread

Post by Zallist » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 pm

Well, there seems to be hundreds (well, maybe 10) of suggestions, so I thought I'd make it easier for Boot by making a thread that people can put stuff into, rather than having many suggestion threads.
◕ ◡ ◕

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Re: (Un)official suggestions thread

Post by Zallist » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:32 pm

My only major suggestion at the moment that I haven't already stated would be:
Allow a features which downloads all of the Updated comics at once, so they can then be read like a list, as opposed to clicking and waiting on each one. (could make the orb Orange or Purple to indicate "Updated, but not read yet!")
◕ ◡ ◕

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:08 pm

Allow a features which downloads all of the Updated comics at once, so they can then be read like a list, as opposed to clicking and waiting on each one.
This was something that I had a half-arsed go at implementing in one of the earlier versions, but canned it in the end as I wasn't really happy with how it worked.

I'll have another go at it. Because I'm nice like that, see.

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Post by Zallist » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:25 pm

BootBlock wrote:
Allow a features which downloads all of the Updated comics at once, so they can then be read like a list, as opposed to clicking and waiting on each one.
This was something that I had a half-arsed go at implementing in one of the earlier versions, but canned it in the end as I wasn't really happy with how it worked.

I'll have another go at it. Because I'm nice like that, see.
You're so kind! Please, have my babies?
But seriously, woo. It doesn't matter if it turns out badly, but having a little button there that does it may make people place a ":D" over the top of their usual "Erg, waiting for internet, erg." face. (See: :( )
◕ ◡ ◕

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Why, what's wrong with 'em?
It doesn't matter if it turns out badly
Badly? BADLY?! This is an outrage!

I'll make a start on it tomorrow; right now I'm beginning to put together the XML editor... thing. Someone hold my hand. :cry:

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Post by Zallist » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:21 pm

BootBlock wrote:
Why, what's wrong with 'em?
It doesn't matter if it turns out badly
Badly? BADLY?! This is an outrage!

I'll make a start on it tomorrow; right now I'm beginning to put together the XML editor... thing. Someone hold my hand. :cry:
I'm not holding your hand if you refuse my deformed babies. ;-;
Gogo editor.
◕ ◡ ◕

AZNsupermarket
It's Not Lupus

Post by AZNsupermarket » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Zallist wrote:My only major suggestion at the moment that I haven't already stated would be:
Allow a features which downloads all of the Updated comics at once, so they can then be read like a list, as opposed to clicking and waiting on each one. (could make the orb Orange or Purple to indicate "Updated, but not read yet!")
This sounds like a good idea.

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Post by Zallist » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Suggestion!
Some comics upload with many images as opposed to just one image. Almost all the time, however, they follow the naming scheme of like "Comic12Num[0-9a-zA-Z]". Is there any chance that Comical could load all the images on that page, if there are numerous ones? I suppose you'd need another variable entitled "MultipleComics" as a Boolean, but 'twould be nice.

Gunshow is the only one I can think of currently with a multi-comic on, but Abstruse Goose has done it before, too.
◕ ◡ ◕

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Post by Zallist » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:39 am

Another suggestion!
Favicons. How about the webpage's favicon appearing to the right of the entry? I know it's useless, but it is aesthetically pleasing.
◕ ◡ ◕

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 am

MultipleComics
I'll have to think about this one. Amount of work Vs Would it be used much, as it requires directly processing image data.
How about the webpage's favicon appearing to the right of the entry? I know it's useless, but it is aesthetically pleasing.
They could only be shown if a comic has no new version, isn't being checked/downloaded, and isn't a favourite; only one image can be shown next to a comic item. As I'm hoping everyone is using favourites, then I don't think the icons would ever show. Plus, you may not be able to tell at-a-glance if something has changed with a comic as they would all have icons showing.

I do like the idea of incorporating favicons - maybe I can add it somewhere else...