Comica v1.20 Alpha

Comica (formerly Comical) is a configurable web-comic viewer and downloader. [link]
BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Comica v1.20 Alpha

Post by BootBlock » Fri May 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Comica v1.20 Alpha has been released for testing.

There is a significant amount of changes in this version; it is also incomplete in many places. The Comica Wiki contains a list of known issues - please report any/all bugs you encounter that are not listed.

Usage
Extract the archive to a location of your choice - preferably not over your existing installation. Once done, ensure any previous versions of Comica aren't running (you should be notified if they are) and double-click on the Comica.exe file. All going well, it should run as normal.

Comica v1.20 has been tested in Windows XP, 7, and 8. No specific OS-issues were found. MacOS X and Linux testing will begin at a later date, assuming the Mono project is capable of running a .NET 4 application correctly (non-recoverable issues were encountered during the last series of tests).

Please use this thread for v1.20 posts.

Download: Comica v1.20 Alpha [1.49MB, zip]

Code: Select all

v1.20 Alpha; 29th May, 2012.
  - Added: Entirely new keyboard input system (see Settings - Input).
  - Added: Copy Comic Strip to the Archive Browser.
  - Added: Description and UseCookie attributes.
  - Added: Priority, Transparency, and Always On Top to main window's system menu (click window's titlebar icon; Windows only).
  - Added: Age Rating to the Suggest Comic module.
  - Added: New command-line parameters. Please see the Comica wiki.
  - Added: Extensive - but incomplete - plugin system.
  - Fixed: Numerous crashes relating to the Archive Browser.
  - Fixed: Comics sometimes reverted back to their unread state.
  - Fixed: Comica wasn't recognising the .cbz/.cb7 comic archive extensions.
  - Fixed: Some comic images would appear blank or fail to download.
  - Fixed: The main window's splitter position wasn't always being honoured.
  - Fixed: Systemtray notifications didn't always appear.
  - Other: Overhaul of the Settings system. Old settings are lost because of this.
  - Other: Many features have been split out or newly added (eg. image zooming) into plugins.
  - Other: Improvements to comic panning and zooming.
  - Other: General interface improvements.
  - Other: Changes to the update checking code.
  - Other: Faster start-up.
  - Other: Significant amount of undocumented changes and additions.
  - Other: Updated the online wiki.
  - Note!: Comic databases released for v1.20 and above are not
           compatible with previous Comica releases.

noober

Re: Comica v1.20 Alpha

Post by noober » Thu May 31, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks for the new version! I put it in a new directory and tried it.
You wrote "Note!: Comic databases released for v1.20 and above are not compatible with previous Comica releases." - but it used the database and archives of the previous version without any problem. So I'm curious, is it only that v1.20 is backwards compatible but has extensions that older versions won't understand?

One thing I noticed: The mouse needs to be in the list at the left in order to enable changing comics with the cursor up/down buttons. If the mouse is over the comic, I can only use right/left for next/prev comic, but not up/down for prev/next in the list. I think in the older version this was possible (haven't checked again, maybe I'm mistaken).

Everything else works nicely. Well done.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 pm

So I'm curious, is it only that v1.20 is backwards compatible but has extensions that older versions won't understand?
I probably should remove that.

All previous databases are compatible with v1.20, but as you said, any v1.20-specific extensions won't work in any versions prior to v1.20. But, saying that, I haven't actually used any extensions in the database otherwise it would break previous versions - the notice wasn't really relevant, it seems.
The mouse needs to be in the list at the left in order to enable changing comics with the cursor up/down buttons.
I thought I put in a setting to allow the disabling of focus being shifted to the list/comic depending on the position of the cursor, but it seems I didn't.

I'll add a couple of shortcut actions that allows movement within the comics list and default Up/Down to them.
Everything else works nicely.
Good to hear! I put off releasing this version for so long because I wasn't sure what state the code was in (it's been over a year since I started the initial rewriting of the core).

snpalavan

Post by snpalavan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:11 pm

YAY I'm so excited to see an update! I sent you an email a long time ago regarding an App on WebOS that is (somewhat) similar, but supports previous comics for some comics that Comica does not. It might be worth looking into.

noober

Post by noober » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi,

I have something of a wish for a future update: Allow more than one download at the same time.

Right now, Comica goes through the updated comics from top to bottom, and when one comic can't download or just takes very long then nothing else happens. Sometimes pages get marked as updated, but they might not have a new comic, or not in a form that Comica can get it. So these pages stop the others in the list from getting downloaded.

If you had 2 or 3 downloads in parallel, it would be faster and a good hedge against these "hangups".

cheers, noober

AZNsupermarket
It's Not Lupus

Post by AZNsupermarket » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 am

So are we ever going to see an official 1.20 update? You seemed to have introduced the Alpha a long time ago.