Missed a day - anyway to set retrieval day?

Comica (formerly Comical) is a configurable web-comic viewer and downloader. [link]
rangaroo

Missed a day - anyway to set retrieval day?

Post by rangaroo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:22 pm

It is now my morning habit to fire up Comica and get a load of my favorite comics.
Hurrah!

However, if I'm busy and neglect to turn on the computer, etc on a particular day, then
I think I have to live with a hole in my comic reading experience.

I am not readily finding a way to target Comica at a particular date.

I can go to web sites and manually get a copy of available previous day's comics,
but the when I download a missed day the filename format is not the same.

When viewing a comic and using the arrow button to go to the previous day the proper
strip shows, but I wonder if that is because of the file date rather than file name?

Any help will be appreciated

and thanks for the app

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Re: Missed a day - anyway to set retrieval day?

Post by BootBlock » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:27 am

rangaroo wrote:I am not readily finding a way to target Comica at a particular date.
Unfortunately, Comica cannot fetch previous comics... kind of.

Comica supports navigating through a site's comic strips, but support specifically needs to be added for a particular comic. Even then, it may not work correctly, as the feature wasn't fully implemented. The plan is to completely rewrite that aspect of the code so Comics > comic_name > Catch Up works consistently.
rangaroo wrote:When viewing a comic and using the arrow button to go to the previous day the proper
strip shows, but I wonder if that is because of the file date rather than file name?
That's right - Comica sorts strips based on that strip's file date and time. The archive browser allows you to sort by filename, but that's a destructive process as Comica will then directly change the dates of all the strips so it results in them being sorted by filename, and it's not possible to restore the original downloaded-at dates.

It took a bit of time to come up with this system, and even then I'm not really happy with it.

noober

Re: Missed a day - anyway to set retrieval day?

Post by noober » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi Joseph,

I've been thinking it would be nice to see the date of the strip in Comica. Often, it's very small somewhere in the margins, but you could just take the file date and show that.
Then, when going backwards through a set of strips, one could easily see when a day is missing.

Of course it's not perfect, as the file date is the date Comica retrieved the strip and not the date that the strip was published. (Some comics are published weekly, they could have 7 different retrieval dates). So in another future version, it would be extremely great if you could somehow get the publishing date and save that (e.g. in the filename).