An issue + a request for a clean catch-up

Comica (formerly Comical) is a configurable web-comic viewer and downloader. [link]
Twain28

An issue + a request for a clean catch-up

Post by Twain28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:36 am

I simply LOVE comical, it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm having a strange issue with cath-up function, though: the operation itself runs fine, yet after catchup, when I download a new strip, I discover old ones are placed into inverted order, so if I hit back button from latest strip, I end up to the first strip of the series (happens with Ctr+alt+del comic, but I believe it might be a general issue). I hope this is easy to fix....

Moreover, I'd like to make a request, in some way linked to the cath-up function: I've noticed downloaded strips' names are hell to deal with. Basically, I'd like to be able to read them in the correct order, even when I'm not using Comical.
IMHO, if it's not difficult to code in, Comical should offer an option to autorename strips as soon as they're downloaded, thus helping the system to sort them correctly (I'm thinking about a <COMICNAME>-<DATE> scheme, and I guess this might also help with the issue described above).

I hope that's not too much to ask for. I'm available to discuss details or to explain things better (I'm not a great writer, myself) ;) .

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Re: An issue + a request for a clean catch-up

Post by BootBlock » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 am

Hey there,
I simply LOVE comical, it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Thanks! :D
I discover old ones are placed into inverted order, so if I hit back button from latest strip, I end up to the first strip of the series (happens with Ctr+alt+del comic, but I believe it might be a general issue)
This was the number one issue that came very close to preventing me from adding catching-up/previous downloading.

When Comical downloads a strip, its file date is set to the date/time it was downloaded. So downloading new strips results in the latest ones having the latest dates. With this in mind, it's easy to simply sort the strips by file date and have them appear in the correct order.

So downloading previous strips, as you saw, results in them having newer dates than the previously downloaded ones.

I added a Sort By Name sort to help fix this, but it only works for comics that are sequentially numbered or have dates in them in a certain format.
<COMICNAME>-<DATE>
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a good way of correlating dates with comics/strips.

Since v1.08, I actually removed being able to rename strips (including the rename mask). Comical now relies on strips having the exact same name as they do on the comic's site, otherwise things like Download Previous/Next/Catch-up will break. This basically forced me to re-download all of the earlier comics in my collection as I originally renamed them in the <DATE> - <STRIP TITLE> format. All that work undone. :(

The fact that downloading previous strips results in them being out-of-order really irritates me, and it's kind of annoying that I can't think of a good way of fixing it.

Twain28

Post by Twain28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:23 pm

BootBlock wrote: When Comical downloads a strip, its file date is set to the date/time it was downloaded. So downloading new strips results in the latest ones having the latest dates. With this in mind, it's easy to simply sort the strips by file date and have them appear in the correct order.
So downloading previous strips, as you saw, results in them having newer dates than the previously downloaded ones.
I added a Sort By Name sort to help fix this, but it only works for comics that are sequentially numbered or have dates in them in a certain format.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a good way of correlating dates with comics/strips.
Since v1.08, I actually removed being able to rename strips (including the rename mask). Comical now relies on strips having the exact same name as they do on the comic's site, otherwise things like Download Previous/Next/Catch-up will break. This basically forced me to re-download all of the earlier comics in my collection as I originally renamed them in the <DATE> - <STRIP TITLE> format. All that work undone. :(
The fact that downloading previous strips results in them being out-of-order really irritates me, and it's kind of annoying that I can't think of a good way of fixing it.
First of all, thanks for your fast answer. ;)
I'm no coder, myself, but, before finding out your marvellous app, I used to download webcomics with Dosage, which is basically a bunch of Python scripts, but managed to save comic strips with a custom name+date.
I know things are different with .NET, but perhaps a look at those code might be useful to develop a new approach to the issue....

Edit: I actually remembered another app I tried to use a long way ago Woofy, which relied on XML to get comics....a list of definitions here. I thought this also could be inspiring....
Last edited by Twain28 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out and see how they do things.

Twain28

Post by Twain28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:30 pm

BootBlock wrote:Thanks for the link - I'll check it out and see how they do things.
NP, just check also the othe one in my edit of the above. ;)