Comical v1.09 Beta 2 [UPDATED]

Comica (formerly Comical) is a configurable web-comic viewer and downloader. [link]
BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Comical v1.09 Beta 2 [UPDATED]

Post by BootBlock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 am

Notes
A beta of the next version of Comical has been made available for those that would like to test it.

This release internally identifies itself as v1.08 rather than v1.09, or even v1.09 Beta, so you'll still get an update notification when the v1.09 final is released.

How to Install
This release is distributed as a ZIP file. Simply extract it to a location of your choice. While it's not dangerous to do so, you should probably not extract it over your current Comical installation as this beta may be unstable.

What Am I Testing?
  • The Archive Browser. It has been heavily modified since the previous release.
  • General usage and stability due to a large amount of code restructuring.
Please note that there may be additional changes between this and the v1.09 final release.

Download: Comical v1.09 Beta 2 [877KB]

Code: Select all

v1.09 Beta 2; 22nd October, 2010.
  - Other: More fixes and some minor changes.

Code: Select all

v1.09 Beta 1; 20th October, 2010.
  - Added: Preliminary support for comic image zooming.
  - Fixed: UpdateCheckType in Settings - Network.
  - Fixed: Archive Browser was still appearing if Comical is set to start hidden.
  - Other: It is now possible to download a comic while viewing another.
  - Other: General fixes and improvements.
  - Other: Updated Pique.
Please use this thread for v1.09 Beta discussion.

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Re: Comical v1.09 Beta

Post by Zallist » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:29 pm

And 'lo. I return.

And somehow still have more posts than anyone else. o-o;

I stopped using Comical for a longgggg while because I just plum forgot to check them, and then when I looked back at my list, I was months behind every comic.

SO NOW, downloading this on my brand new laptop and gonna start all over again.
This time without 180 comics, and closer to 30.

Edit #1:
First problem I notice, the Downloading bar doesn't seem to disappear if you're checking back through the archives.
Second one is, you can't use the arrows to navigate back to the Latest comic.

Edit #2:
The downloading problem seems to have fixed itself. o-o
And I apparently didn't have Archiving on, so NOW I can use the arrows to go back and forward. Problem is, it doesn't seem to know which way is forward and which way is back.
◕ ◡ ◕

Cardcaptor_RLH85

Post by Cardcaptor_RLH85 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:33 am

Well, I'm using the 1.09 beta now and the orange arrows are still showing up at the upper right hand corner between the 'Most Recent Comic' and 'Archive Browser' buttons instead of at the bottom of the Archive Browser window. Other than that though, I don't see any problems.

Screenshot of the orange button placement:

Zallist
Spammin' Mofo

Post by Zallist » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Suggestion time!
When you do "Download All Unread", all the green/orange hearts/orbs turn blue for the ones which are downloaded but unread.

And then you can still go through them with space. :D
◕ ◡ ◕

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Post by BootBlock » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Zallist wrote:And 'lo. I return.
Hey, welcome back!
Zallist wrote:And somehow still have more posts than anyone else. o-o;
Yeah, the Comical forum essentially went dead as I stopped working on Comical. Or I stopped working on Comical because the forum went dead. I tend to work on things when there's active discussion about them.
Zallist wrote:Second one is, you can't use the arrows to navigate back to the Latest comic.
You have to click on the blue Reset button at the bottom of the Archive Browser for Comical to start from the LatestComicUrl point. There's weirdness on certain sites when it comes to going backwards/forwards through them, possibly due to the way they're setup.
Zallist wrote:Problem is, it doesn't seem to know which way is forward and which way is back.
Have you got an example comic?
Zallist wrote:And I apparently didn't have Archiving on, so NOW I can use the arrows to go back and forward.
...and...
Cardcaptor_RLH85 wrote:the orange arrows are still showing up at the upper right hand corner between the 'Most Recent Comic' and 'Archive Browser' buttons instead of at the bottom of the Archive Browser window
This is due to the gigantic amount of bugs that somehow got introduced while working on v1.09. Not sure what caused it, but I ran into bugs constantly. Beta 1 was the first round of fixes, and I'm about to release Beta 2 would has hopefully fixed all the bugs I know about. Edit: Beta 2 now released; check first post in this thread.
Zallist wrote:When you do "Download All Unread", all the green/orange hearts/orbs turn blue for the ones which are downloaded but unread.
I plan on adding that when I find a good way of doing it. To be honest, a lot of the Comical code needs sorting out. It kinda got away from me a bit...

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Re: Comical v1.09 Beta 2 [UPDATED]

Post by BootBlock » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:07 pm

First post now contains Comical v1.09 Beta 2.

Cardcaptor_RLH85

Post by Cardcaptor_RLH85 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:20 pm

BootBlock wrote:
Cardcaptor_RLH85 wrote:the orange arrows are still showing up at the upper right hand corner between the 'Most Recent Comic' and 'Archive Browser' buttons instead of at the bottom of the Archive Browser window
This is due to the gigantic amount of bugs that somehow got introduced while working on v1.09. Not sure what caused it, but I ran into bugs constantly. Beta 1 was the first round of fixes, and I'm about to release Beta 2 would has hopefully fixed all the bugs I know about.
Actually, this one (for me at least) was present in v1.08 too. That's why in my first forum post I was confused about your instructions concerning buttons at the bottom of the Archive Browser.

EDIT: Well, you posted Beta 2 while I was typing this reply and, now the button placement issue is fixed for me! Also, I like what you did with the Comic menu. It feels to me that it removes the confusion with the Download All Unread feature.

BootBlock
Unclean, unclean!

Re: Comical v1.09 Beta 2 [UPDATED]

Post by BootBlock » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:52 pm

Comical v1.09 has now been released.

View: Comical